1 Pilgrim Guide National Shrine of The Divine Mercy
2 Map Locations 4-5 6-7 Your Journey Begins with a Self-Guided Tour on Eden Hill 8-29 1 Our Lady of Eden Hill 8 2 Saint John Paul II Plaza 8-9 3 Statue of Saint Faustina Kowalska 10-11 4 The National Shrine of The Divine Mercy 11-17 5 Outdoor Stations of the Cross 18 6 Statue of Blessed George Matulaitis-Matulewicz 18-19 7 The Grotto of Our Lady of Lourdes and the Immaculate Conception Candle Shrine 19-20 8 The Shrine of the Holy Innocents 20-21 9 The Mother of Mercy Outdoor Shrine 21-22 10 The Holy Family Shrine 22 11 Statue of Saint Stanislaus of Jesus Mary Papczynski and the Marian Cemetery 23-24 12 Statue of Jesus, The Divine Mercy 24 13 Saint Faustina Center 25 14 Divine Mercy Gift Shop 25 15 Saint John Paul II House 25 16 The Marian Helpers Center, Our Lady of Mercy Oratory, and the Candle Shrine 26-27 Additional Statues on Eden Hill A Saint Thérèse of Lisieux 28 B Saint Peregrine 28 C Saint Philomena 28 D Saint Francis of Assisi 29 E Saint Anthony of Padua 29 F Our Lady, Comfort of Novices 29 G Saint Joseph 29 H Sacred Heart of Jesus 29 30-33 34 Information Center 34 Groups and Bus Pilgrimages 34 35 How to Find Us Schedule and Hours of Operation (back cover)
3 “Mankind will not have peace until it turns with trust to My mercy.” — Diary of Saint Maria Faustina Kowalska, 300
4 Situated on 375 acres known as Eden Hill, the Shrine is owned and administered by the Marian Fathers of the Immaculate Conception. The artwork and relics throughout the Shrine express two key elements of the identity and mission of the Marians —the Immaculate Conception and Divine Mercy. One of the central features of the Shrine is the Divine Mercy Image, which, through St. Maria Faustina Kowalska, Jesus Himself requested to be painted, spread, and venerated throughout the world. Jesus declared, “I am offering people a vessel with which they are to keep coming for graces to the fountain of mercy. That vessel is this image with the signature, ‘Jesus, I trust in You’” (Diary, 327). Jesus promised that the soul who venerates this image will not perish, adding, “I Myself will defend it as My own glory” (48). Y ou are making a journey to a sacred place — the National Shrine of The Divine Mercy in Stockbridge, Massachusetts.
5 Eden Hill is also home to the Marian Helpers Center, where employees and volunteers work with the Marians to help spread the Divine Mercy message and devotion throughout the world. The Center hosts a prayerline that, each week, hears from thousands of people who call or write to request prayers or even for a candle to be lit for their intentions. From this place, the Marians coordinate the Association of Marian Helpers, a lay association of the faithful, whose members — wherever they may live — cooperate with the Marians in helping to promote devotion to Mary, Divine Mercy, and the Holy Souls in Purgatory. At the Shrine, you can walk the grounds, pray the Stations of the Cross, and visit the Lourdes Grotto, the Shrine of the Holy Innocents, and the many other memorials and shrines. You are also encouraged to experience Jesus’ mercy in the daily prayer activities: Confession, Mass, Eucharistic Adoration, the Rosary, and the Chaplet of Divine Mercy. “I have opened My Heart as a living fountain of mercy. Let all souls draw life from it. Let them approach this sea of mercy with great trust” (1520). “The more a soul trusts, the more it will receive” (1578). Trust in the unimaginable graces that our Lord has prepared for you and that await you here. As Jesus says to us through St. Faustina:
6 P XIII V VIII XIV XII VI IX X I VII XI Opportunities for Memorials & Tributes are available. Visit MemorialsOnEdenHill.org for more information. Locations on Eden Hill 1 11 12 14 13 15 16 B C D
7 IV Pine St. Main Entrance II I III General and Bus Parking Handicap Parking P Restrooms 3 2 4 5 7 8 9 10 2 A F G E 6 H See the following pages for the site locations. Proceed up hill to Main Entrance. General and bus parking to the RIGHT. Handicap parking to the LEFT.
8 2 Saint John Paul II Plaza 1 Your journey begins with a self-guided tour. In 1943, the Marian Fathers of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary purchased this property long known as Eden Hill, which currently spans 375 acres. This statue of the Immaculate Conception was one of the first landmarks the Marians erected here. They entrusted the property and their work to the Blessed Virgin Mary under the title Our Lady of Eden Hill. Below the statue is inscribed a favorite prayer of their Founder, St. Stanislaus of Jesus Mary Papczynski. In English, the prayer says, “May the Virgin Mary’s Immaculate Conception be our health and our protection.” Our Lady of Eden Hill In 2001, the 60th anniversary of the Marian Fathers’ involvement in the spread of Divine Mercy, Pope St. John Paul II sent a special apostolic blessing and a renewed call to the Marian Fathers. “Be apostles of Divine Mercy under the maternal and loving guidance of Mary,” he wrote. Inspired by the Great
9 Mercy Pope, the Marians continue their task in the third millennium to make it known that, in the words of Jesus to St. Faustina, “Mankind will not have peace until it turns with trust to My Mercy” (Diary, 300). On Oct. 22, 2012, the Marian Fathers unveiled a new entrance near the National Shrine of The Divine Mercy, the “St. John Paul II Plaza.” A life-size bronze statue of St. John Paul II with outstretched arms stands before the entrance as a gesture of welcome to all. This plaza is a reminder of the task the Holy Father entrusted to the Marian Fathers and those who assist them in their mission. Pilgrims may venerate a first-class relic of St. John Paul II inside the Shrine. It’s encased in the marble pedestal to the right of the high altar in front of a statue of the beloved pontiff. Saint John Paul II has proven himself a powerful intercessor in Heaven. The miracle that led to his beatification concerned a French nun, Sr. Marie Simon-Pierre, who was healed from an aggressive form of Parkinson’s disease after her congregation prayed for her to John Paul II following his death in 2005. The miracle that led to his canonization involved Floribeth Mora Diaz of Costa Rica. She was healed from a cerebral aneurism on May 1, 2011, the very day of John Paul II’s beatification in Rome, which was Divine Mercy Sunday that year.
10 Saint Faustina was a young, undereducated religious sister of the Congregation of Sisters of Our Lady of Mercy in Poland. She received visions of the Lord Jesus in the 1930s that she recorded in her Diary. Jesus gave her the title “Secretary of Divine Mercy.” On April 30, 2000, St. John Paul II canonized her as the first saint of the new millennium and announced that the Second Sunday of Easter would thereafter be known as Divine Mercy Sunday. This marble statue depicts St. Faustina kneeling. The original statue is at the Cathedral of St. Stanislaus Kostka in Lodz, Poland, the site where St. Faustina prayed after seeing a vision of the suffering Jesus calling her to a religious vocation (see Diary, 9). Pilgrims may view a first-class relic of St. Faustina encased in glass above the tabernacle. 3 Statue of Saint Faustina Kowalska
11 Saint Faustina promised she would become a powerful intercessor from Heaven, once writing that her mission would continue after her death. “Poor earth, I will not forget you,” she wrote. “Although I feel that I will be immediately drowned in God as in an ocean of happiness, that will not be an obstacle to my returning to earth to encourage souls and incite them to trust in God’s mercy. Indeed, this immersion in God will give me the possibility of boundless action” (Diary, 1582). Maureen Digan’s miraculous healing from Milroy’s disease at the tomb of Sr. Faustina in 1983 served as the required miracle for Sr. Faustina’s beatification in 1993. Father Ron Pytel’s healing from a heart condition on Oct. 5, 1995 (the Feast Day of then-Blessed Faustina), served as the miracle that led to Faustina’s canonization. Countless Shrine pilgrims have reported graces of physical and spiritual healing after praying to St. Faustina for her intercession. Many people describe Eden Hill in historic Stockbridge, Massachusetts, as a little piece of Heaven. Here they find a place of contemplation and respite from our busy world. Construction of the present edifice of the National Shrine of The Divine Mercy started in 1950 while the Marian Fathers were busy promoting the message and devotion of the Divine Mercy received through St. Faustina. 4 The National Shrine of The Divine Mercy
12 As the devotion spread, the Marians were urged to build a larger edifice to house the Divine Mercy Image. They hired local Stockbridge artisan Antonio Guerrieri. Amazingly, Guerrieri used no architectural plans or blueprints to build the Shrine. The Marian Fathers ran into many obstacles throughout construction. First, a lack of funds delayed completion. Then, Guerrieri died before the Shrine was completed. As if that weren’t enough, the Vatican placed a temporary ban on spreading the Divine Mercy message and devotion in 1959 due to faulty translations of St. Faustina’s Diary. The Shrine was finally completed in 1960. The ban on the message and devotion was lifted in 1978 by Pope St. Paul VI. In 1993, Pope St. John Paul II beatified Sr. Faustina. In 1996, the National Conference of Catholic Bishops officially designated the Shrine as “The National Shrine of The Divine Mercy.” In 2000, St. John Paul II canonized St. Faustina and declared the second Sunday of Easter Divine Mercy Sunday, a universal feast for the Church. Tens of thousands of pilgrims visit the Shrine every year.
13 Architectural Highlights @ The Shrine features 36 stained-glass windows and two mosaics. Created by artist Fred Leuchs, these portray the mercy of God as seen in Scripture. @ The high altar is made of Vermont marble. It holds the tabernacle for reserving the Eucharist. The Divine Mercy Image is above the altar, flanked by hand-carved statues of the apostles, each carrying their instruments of evangelization or martyrdom. @ Just above the Divine Mercy Image is a statue of Mary, the Immaculate Conception, carved from white Carrara marble. @ Above Mary, a magnificent mural depicts the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, crowning Mary as Queen of Heaven and Earth. @ Two sculpted cherubs (not pictured here) keep watch over the sanctuary. @ Looking to the choir loft, at the opposite end of the church, a grand rose window depicts various symbols of Mary taken from the Litany of Loreto.
14 Interior Chapels The St. Joseph Chapel is located to the left of the high altar. Its archway, a garland of oak leaves wrapped with a ribbon, symbolizes strength. Saint Joseph is the protector and guardian of the Holy Family. He is also patron of husbands, fathers, and the dying. In 1870, St. Joseph was proclaimed by Pope Bl. Pius IX as the Universal Patron of the Church. Saint Joseph is one of the patrons of the Marian Congregation. The statue of Our Lady of Fatima, located in the right corner, is modeled after the description the children gave of her. It is a reminder to heed her words and pray the Rosary for the conversion of the world. The statue was made in Fatima where the Marian Fathers maintain a pastoral presence. On May 13, 1917, the Blessed Virgin Mary first appeared to three shepherd children in Fatima, Portugal — Lucia dos Santos, age 10, and her cousins Francisco and Jacinta Marto, ages 8 and 7. Our Lady appeared each month from May until October 1917. Our Lady emphasized the importance of praying the Rosary daily for peace in the world, offering sacrifices for the conversion of sinners, and spreading devotion to her Immaculate Heart. Saint Francisco and St. Jacinta died shortly after the apparitions, as Our Lady foretold. On May 13, 2000, they were beatified. On May 13, 2017, the 100th anniversary of the first apparition, they were canonized the youngest non-martyred saints. Their second-class relics are encased in the kneeler for veneration.
15 On the left wall of the St. Joseph Chapel is the bas relief honoring the Marian Martyrs of Rosica. Blessed Anthony Leszczewicz and Blessed George Kaszyra were martyred by fire in February of 1943 by the Nazis in Rosica, Belarus. These priests were given a chance to escape, but instead chose to die with their parishioners. On June 13, 1999, Pope St. John Paul II beatified Bl. Anthony and Bl. George as part of a group of 108 World War II martyrs. The motto of Blessed George Matulaitis, the Renovator of the Marian Fathers, as a bishop is displayed on the left side of this chapel: “Conquer evil with good” (Rom 12:21). His first-class relic is encased in the kneeler for veneration. Read more about Bl. George on pages 14-15. The third saint’s relic encased in the kneeler is St. Thérèse of Lisieux. Read more about her on page 28. The St. Faustina Chapel is located to the right of the high altar. “Pilgrims can venerate a first-class relic of St. Faustina encased in the kneeler in her chapel inside the Shrine (not pictured here). Read more about St.Faustina on pages 10-11. Two other saints’ relics are encased in the kneeler in this chapel. One is Blessed Michael Sopocko — a Polish priest, military chaplain, and the spiritual director of St. Faustina. Blessed Sopocko tirelessly promoted the Divine Mercy message and devotion until his death in 1975. His contributions are depicted in the 2019 docudrama “Love and Mercy: Faustina.” Father Sopocko was beatified on Sept. 28, 2009, in Bialystok, Poland.
16 The other is St. Margaret Mary Alacoque, the 17th - century French Visitation nun and mystic to whom Jesus appeared several times over a span of 18 months, revealing and encouraging devotion to His Most Sacred Heart. She is depicted in a stained-glass window on the right of this chapel, and her first-class relic is in the kneeler. The chapel also includes a glass case within which are relics of St. John Paul II. Pope St. John Paul II offered this zucchetto (white skull cap) to the National Shrine on June 2, 2000. It was worn by His Holiness in 1980. The Rosary beads have an interesting story. They were in the hands of the original statue of Our Lady of Fatima in Portugal. On May 13, 1982, the Feast of Our Lady of Fatima, the Holy Father was in Fatima, Portugal, giving thanks to the Mother of God for his survival despite the attempt on his life made in St. Peter’s Square one year prior. After praying before the statue of Our Lady of Fatima, the Holy Father replaced the Rosary in Our Lady’s hands with a more elaborate one as a gift. The Rosary is between the relics of St. Faustina Kowalska and St. John Paul II in this side chapel, opposite the Shrine’s very own statue of Our Lady of Fatima. In a spiritual sense, the Rosary has come full circle. For the whole story, click here. A statue of St. Michael the Archangel is located above the alcove that displays the statue of St. John Paul II. The Book of Revelation tells of a war in Heaven where St. Michael leads a fierce battle, casting the devil down to earth, where the devil still tries to lead the world astray (12:7-9). The Marians and the pilgrims often recite the Prayer of St. Michael at the end of Masses and at the end of the Rosary at the Shrine.
17 To the right of the high altar, above the entrance to the St. Faustina Chapel, is a mural of the “Apostolic Approval of the Marians.” St. Stanislaus of Jesus Mary Papczynski, the Founder of the Marian Fathers, kneels as he receives the Rule of the Ten Virtues of the Blessed Virgin Mary from Pope Innocent XII. Standing next to him is Venerable Servant of God Fr. Casimir Wyszynski, MIC (1700-1755), a zealous religious who deeply loved his Order and its Founder, a great devotee of the mystery of the Immaculate Conception, intercessor for the souls in Purgatory, and promoter of the Blue Scapular. To the left of the high altar, above the entrance to the St. Joseph Chapel, is a mural that depicts the “Renovation of the Marian Fathers.” The mural shows Fr. Vincent Senkus-Senkowski, the last Marian to wear the white habit, handing on the authorization to Blessed George Matulaitis, the Marian Renovator, to renovate and update the Constitutions of the Marians. Saint Pius X and cardinals are represented giving the apostolic approval for the renovation of the Congregation. The crucifix, which hangs above the alcove that displays the St. Stanislaus Papczynski statue, originally hung above the high altar and tabernacle. The location changed when the Divine Mercy Image was installed in 1993. Visit ShrineOfTheDivine Mercy.org to learn more about the National Shrine of The Divine Mercy.
18 5 Outdoor Stations of the Cross Thanks to Marian benefactors Tom and Charlene Welch and world-renowned Christian sculptor Timothy P. Schmalz of Ontario, Canada, Eden Hill is home to an extraordinary Stations of the Cross that consists of 52 life-size figures and 13 crosses. Schmalz says the best compliment his sculptures can receive is “to amaze and fascinate the most cynical youths.” These Stations were consecrated on Sept. 14, 2012, the Feast of the Exaltation of the Cross. Just a few weeks later, on Oct. 5 (the Feast of St. Faustina), Tom, who had been suffering from illness, passed to eternal life. Without the Marian Renovator Blessed George Matulaitis-Matulewicz (18711927), the Marian Fathers might not exist today. In 1909, the Marian Fathers had dwindled down to just one member as a result of the persecution of religious orders in many parts of Europe. Blessed George famously prayed that the Lord make him a “dish rag” to clean the Church, to be worn out and thrown away when his mission was over. He revised the Congregation’s Constitutions and formed an underground seminary program. 6 Statue of Blessed George Matulaitis- MatulEwicz
19 From there, the Marians expanded. In 1913, he brought the Marians to the United States. He was appointed Bishop of Vilnius, Lithuania, in 1918. He died on Jan. 27, 1927. Pilgrims may venerate a first-class relic of Blessed George in the St. Joseph Chapel inside the Shrine. Blessed George was beatified on June 28, 1987, following the approval of a miracle attributed to his intercession. Adelaide Tamosiunaite of Lithuania was cured of thrombophlebitis in 1974 after faithfully turning to the Marians’ Renovator in a novena. Visit Matulaitis-Matulewicz.org to learn more about him. 7 The Grotto of Our Lady of Lourdes and the Immaculate Conception Candle Shrine The Marian Fathers were the first male religious community in the world founded under the title of the Immaculate Conception. This was in 1670, nearly two centuries before the Church declared the Immaculate Conception a dogma in 1854. A special tribute to the Blessed Virgin Mary under this title is hidden down a narrow path on Eden Hill. In the 1950s, the Marians built this replica of the original grotto where Our Lady appeared to a peasant girl in 1858 in Lourdes, France. Saint Bernadette Soubirous was 14 years old when the Blessed Virgin Mary appeared to her 18 times in the Grotto at Massabielle. Our Lady told St. Bernadette, “I am the Immaculate Conception.”
20 The task of designing the lower level of the Mother of Mercy Outdoor Shrine fell upon Fr. Anthony Gramlich, MIC, the Shrine rector at the time. Ever since his seminarian days, Fr. Anthony had dreamed of creating a pro-life shrine to honor deceased children. The shrine centers around a statue of Our Lady of Guadalupe, the Patroness of the Unborn, depicted carrying the Child Jesus in her womb. Thirteen-foot-tall bronze cherubim angels guard the entrance to the shrine where these children are remembered. Opposite the Grotto of Our Lady of Lourdes is the Immaculate Conception Candle Shrine. Built in the mid-1990s, this shrine is dedicated to the Holy Souls in Purgatory. Praying for the Holy Souls is one of the founding charisms of the Marian Fathers. The shrine’s alcoves illustrate the Church’s teaching on Purgatory, especially our call to pray for our deceased loved ones. Two mosaics depict mystical experiences of Purgatory reported by St. Stanislaus Papczynski and St. Faustina. A third mosaic depicts Christ drawing souls into the heavenly glory of the Most Holy Trinity. Memorial opportunities are available. 8 The Shrine of the Holy Innocents
21 In their early years on Eden Hill, the Marian Fathers would celebrate Divine Mercy Sunday in the main residence with just a handful of family and friends. As the number of attendees grew, they moved outside to the A pathway of bronze baby footprints leads to Our Lady and St. Joseph. The names of deceased children are etched upon tiles decorating this shrine. Interspersed among the tiles are beautiful images and Scripture passages that serve as reminders of God’s promise of eternal life. Memorial opportunities are available. 9 The Mother of Mercy Outdoor Shrine altar of St. Francis, then inside to the National Shrine, and then to a field altar on the south lawn. In 1990, the Eternal Word Television Network (EWTN) began broadcasting Divine Mercy Sunday live from Eden Hill. Eventually, attendance at the annual celebration grew to more than 20,000. By 2007, realizing they needed adequate space to accommodate the growing number of pilgrims attending the many special events, the Marians built this outdoor
22 10 The Holy Family Shrine The basic structure of the Holy Family Shrine was a feature of the estate when the Marian Fathers purchased the property in 1943. It originally served as a garden with a marble statue of St. Joseph holding Baby Jesus in the portico. Today, with the addition of a marble statue of the Holy Family, the shrine honors the dignity and importance of families. As St. John Paul II famously said, “As the family goes, so goes the nation, and so goes the whole world in which we live.”The Holy Family stands as a model par excellence of what it means to serve the Lord as a domestic church. Pilgrims find in the Holy Family Shrine a peaceful place to meditate on Jesus, Mary, and Joseph and invoke their intercession. Many create memorials to remember family members or commemorate special occasions. Memorials are carved in pavers surrounding the shrine or etched on the blue stained-glass windows. shrine. The stained-glass windows on the wings of the façade depict the Seven Joys and Sorrows of Our Lady. On the center façade, different elements show the connection between the Divine Mercy message and the Marian Fathers. Memorial opportunities are available here and at the Holy Family Shrine.
23 11 Statue of St. Stanislaus of Jesus Mary Papczynski and the Marian Cemetery A Polish mystic, writer, and preacher, St. Stanislaus of Jesus Mary Papczynski (1631-1701) founded the Marian Fathers on Dec. 11, 1670. The Marians embrace a charism with three essential points: to promote the mystery of the Immaculate Conception, pray for the Holy Souls in Purgatory, and serve Christ and the Church where the need is greatest. Saint Stanislaus is widely known for his heroic virtues and the numerous miracles attributed to his intercession during his lifetime as well as after his death. The miracles that led to his beatification in 2007 and canonization in 2016 are similar in content. Both occurred in Poland. The beatification miracle involved a fetus brought back to life inside the mother’s womb in 2001 while a family member prayed a novena to Fr. Stanislaus. The canonization miracle involved a 20-year-old woman cured from what doctors considered irreversible organ failure and septic shock. Her healing came several days into a novena through the intercession of then-Blessed Stanislaus begun by family members. Following St. Stanislaus’ canonization, our Marian missions around the world have reported a remarkable increase in miracles through his intercession. Pilgrims may venerate a first-class relic of St. Stanislaus inside the National Shrine. It’s held in a marble pedestal to the left of the high altar in front of his statue. Visit StanislawPapczynski.org to learn more about St. Stanislaus.
24 Because of St. Stanislaus’ devotion to the Holy Souls, his bronze statue stands across from the Marian Cemetery. This cemetery was first consecrated following the death of Fr. Vladimir Jakowski, MIC, the first Marian to die in Stockbridge. He died on Jan. 27, 1948, the anniversary of the passing of the Marians’ Renovator, Blessed George Matulaitis. Buried in the same cemetery is Fr. Seraphim Michalenko, MIC, the world-renown expert on Divine Mercy and on the life and spirituality of St. Faustina. 12 Statue of Jesus, the Divine Mercy This statue of Jesus as the Divine Mercy near the entrance of the main parking lot is a welcome sight for pilgrims. It is a smaller version of the bronze statue at CANA — the Marian Formation Center conducted by the Marian Fathers in Kibeho, Rwanda, which was installed after the genocide in the 1990s. Both statues were designed by Mexican artist Gogi Farias. Gogi also crafted the statues of Our Lady of Guadalupe and St. Juan Diego in the Shrine of the Holy Innocents. The statue is a reminder to pray for peace in the world.
25 13 Saint Faustina Center The Saint Faustina Center was completed in 2016. It plays host to special events, conferences, retreats, and talks given by the Marian priests and brothers, as well as guest speakers. In the future, we hope to create a place of welcome for pilgrims. 14 Divine Mercy Gift Shop The Divine Mercy Gift Shop, one of the largest Catholic gift shops in western Massachusetts, features books, CDs, DVDs, statuary, and gifts for special occasions. You may also shop online at DivineMercyGiftShop.org or by phone: (toll free) 1-888-484-1112. 15 Saint John Paul II House The Saint John Paul II House provides clean, basic, and comfortable accommodations, offering pilgrims an opportunity for spiritual renewal. Although meals are not provided, pilgrims have access to a shared kitchen and may bring their own food. The house also offers a shared library/sitting room. You may reserve rooms through the Shrine receptionist. A suggested offering can be discussed when reserving your stay. Call 413-298-3931 or email [email protected] for inquiries and reservations.
26 16 The Marian Helpers Center, Our Lady of Mercy Oratory, and the Candle Shrine Since 1941, the Marian Fathers have been promoters of the authentic Divine Mercy message and devotion. In 1940, Fr. Joseph Jarzebowski, MIC, received key materials containing the Divine Mercy message and devotion from St. Faustina’s spiritual director, Blessed Michael Sopocko. Miraculously, Fr. Joseph took them safely out of Soviet-occupied Poland during World War II and brought them to the Marian Fathers living in the United States. After his safe arrival, the Marians began spreading the Divine Mercy devotion from their residence in Washington, D.C. Soon, hundreds of people began writing in to report graces they had received through this devotion. In order to minister to the thousands of Catholics writing to the Marians about Divine Mercy, Fr. Walter Pelczynski, MIC, established the Association of Marian Helpers in 1944, modeled after the Marian Auxiliaries founded by Blessed George in 1924 as means of involving the laity in their apostolic mission. The U.S. branch of the Association is now headquartered at the Marian Helpers Center on Eden Hill. The Marian Helpers Center publishes millions of pieces of religious material each year — many of which are sent around the world.
27 The Association is a spiritual benefit society. The prayers, apostolic works, and financial assistance of members benefit the Marians’ ministries around the world. Meanwhile, members share in the spiritual benefits of daily Mass, prayers, and penances as associated members of our religious community. Our Lady of Mercy Oratory, located at the west end of the Marian Helpers Center, offers Holy Mass and Eucharistic Adoration on weekdays for employees and visitors to Eden Hill. Next to the Oratory is the Candle Shrine, where more than 2,500 votive candles are lit for the intentions of those who call or write to the Marian Fathers. Pilgrims are also welcome to light a candle here. The candles burn like sentinels, keeping watch over the donors’ intentions before God. Some members of the Association also belong to the Friends of Mercy or Thirteenth of the Month clubs, or the Holy Souls Sodality — specially formed unions of prayer that have a particular devotion to either Divine Mercy, Mary, or the souls in Purgatory. If you would like to receive special graces by becoming a member of the Association of Marian Helpers and join in its mission, please call 1-800-462-7426 or visit TheDivineMercy.org/join.
28 Additional Statues on Eden Hill A. Saint Thérèse of Lisieux —Saint Faustina writes in her Diary, entry 150, about how, during a difficult time, she prayed a novena to St. Thérèse of the Child Jesus, who then appeared to her in a dream. Saint Thérèse revealed to St. Faustina that she would, indeed, become a saint, and that in three days the difficulty she was facing would come to a happy conclusion. Three days later, it came to pass as St. Thérèse had said. Saint Thérèse wrote a consecration to Divine Mercy, which Fr. Michael Gaitley, MIC, calls “the culmination of her whole spiritual teaching on the Little Way, the crowning of her path to holiness, and ... the most powerful form of consecration to Divine Mercy.” Pilgrims may venerate a first-class relic of St. Thérèse encased in the kneeler in St. Joseph Chapel inside the Shrine. B. Saint Peregrine — a 14th–century Italian who is the patron saint of those suffering from cancer. C. Saint Philomena — a fourth – century consecrated virgin martyred at the age of 13. She is the patron saint of youth and priests. A B C
29 D. Saint Francis of Assisi — a patron of the Marian Fathers. The Marians were under the guardianship of the Franciscans in the 1700s. E. Saint Anthony of Padua — lived as a Franciscan priest around the time of St. Francis. He is most commonly known as the patron saint of lost and stolen articles. F. Our Lady, Comfort of Novices — The original house on Eden Hill was designated as a novitiate, where the novices prepare for first vows through their initial stage of formation. This statue is a reminder for Marian novices to seek comfort in Our Lady when discerning their vocation. G. Saint Joseph — a patron saint of the Marian Fathers who, through his example and intercession, helps them faithfully fulfill the will of God. Saint Joseph is also the patron saint of workers. H. Sacred Heart of Jesus —This statue of Christ, the Redeemer of the World, stands upon a pedestal, 12-feet high. His arms are raised in blessing, extending to the whole world. It was erected in 1947. D E F G H
30 A brief history of Eden Hill 1739 — Reverend John Sergeant, the first Christian missionary to local Native Americans, builds “The Mission House,” a wooden frame home on present-day Eden Hill. The home has since been relocated to Main Street in Stockbridge. 1855 — David Dudley Field, Jr., a lawyer and politician, purchases the property known as Eden Park and builds a summer home. 1906 — Samuel Woodward, a department store baron, replaces the summer home with the English Tudor-style home still standing today. He renames the picturesque land Eden Hill. 1938 — The Episcopalian Diocese of Albany, New York, operates St. Edmund’s School for Boys at Eden Hall until 1941.
31 1943 — The Marian Fathers purchase the Eden Hill property. Bishop Thomas M. O’Leary of the Diocese of Springfield, Massachusetts, blesses the building. 1950 — Stockbridge artisan Antonio Guerrieri begins construction of the annex and Shrine that would later be named the National Shrine of The Divine Mercy. 1960 — The Shrine of The Divine Mercy is completed with no official blueprints. The Bishop of the Diocese of Springfield solemnly blesses and dedicates the Shrine. 1985 — Pope John Paul II sends a special blessing for pilgrims who visit the Shrine in commemoration of its 25th anniversary. 1996 — The National Conference of Catholic Bishops designates the Shrine as the National Shrine of The Divine Mercy.
32 2000 — In Rome, Pope John Paul II canonizes St. Maria Faustina Kowalska, the Secretary and Apostle of Divine Mercy, and establishes “Divine Mercy Sunday” as a special title for the Octave Sunday of Easter for the universal Church. 2007 — Construction begins on the Mother of Mercy Outdoor Shrine on the south lawn. The facility provides appropriate space for the annual Divine Mercy Sunday celebration and other events. 2010 — Thousands celebrate the 50th anniversary of the National Shrine of The Divine Mercy. Pope Benedict XVI grants a plenary indulgence for Shrine pilgrims. 2012 — The life-size outdoor Stations of the Cross are dedicated. A first-class relic of then-Blessed John Paul II is enshrined in the National Shrine. And a new entranceway, then called the “Blessed John Paul II Plaza,” is dedicated on his feast day, Oct. 22. 2014 — After the canonization of Pope John Paul II, the plaza is renamed the “St. John Paul II Plaza.”
33 2015 — A small statue of St. John Paul II is installed near his first-class relic in the Shrine. On Dec. 8, Pope Francis ushers in the Extraordinary Jubilee Year of Mercy and designates a Holy Door at the National Shrine of The Divine Mercy for pilgrims to gain plenary indulgences. 2016 — On June 5 in Rome, the Founder of the Marian Fathers, St. Stanislaus of Jesus Mary Papczynski (1631-1701), is canonized. A first-class relic is enshrined in a marble pedestal inside the Shrine opposite the firstclass relic of his fellow countryman, St. John Paul II. 2017 — Rededication of the renovated Holy Family Shrine. 2018 — An icon titled “Purgatory, The Promise of God’s Mercy” by Vivian Imbruglia is installed in the Shrine’s St. Joseph Chapel on March 19. The Shrine of the Holy Innocents is completed and rededicated on July 14. 2020 — The National Shrine is renovated after 60 years.
34 Information Groups or Bus Pilgrimages Register at ShrineOfDivineMercy.org and click “Visit” if you wish to bring a bus or group of 15 or more people to visit the Shrine. If you have any questions, please call the pilgrim and event coordinator at 413-298-1119 or email [email protected]. Information Center Here you can ... @ Give the gift of prayer! Enroll yourself or a loved one in our spiritual benefit society, the Association of Marian Helpers. @ Plan your calendar around our events. Check out our Shrine Events board. @ Learn about the many opportunities to volunteer on Eden Hill. @ Create a memorial or tribute on Eden Hill. The Marian Fathers will remember you and your loved ones daily at the National Shrine of The Divine Mercy. @ Join the Marian Fathers in their mission. Learn how! @ View a variety of short inspirational videos by the Marian Fathers on our touch-screen kiosks, and access our websites, too. Visit our Information Center located on the ground level of the National Shrine. Resources are available in English, Spanish, and Polish.
35 “Pilgrimage is a joyous community experience that leads one before the Lord, to seek His face, to experience the joy of His house.” — Pope St. John Paul II How to find us … Address for GPS and Online Directions: 11 Pine Street, (then continue up Pine Street to our driveway) Stockbridge, MA. Mailing Address: P. O. Box 951, Stockbridge, MA 01262 Directions from: Pennsylvania, New York, or New Jersey: Take the New York Thruway North (I-87) to Exit 21A. Then exit at the intersection of I-90 (Berkshire section of the Thruway) and proceed East to Exit 10 (Lee) of the Mass Pike. Take Route 102 West to Stockbridge. North of the Massachusetts Turnpike: Take Route 7 South and follow the signs to Stockbridge. South of the Mass Pike: Take Route 7 North from Connecticut and follow the signs to Stockbridge. East via the Mass Pike: Take Exit 10 (Lee) and follow Route 102 West to Stockbridge. In Stockbridge: We are located on Eden Hill between downtown Stockbridge and the Mass Pike. There is one entrance to the property at the corner of Pine and Vine Streets. From the Red Lion Inn, turn north on Pine Street and continue straight past the tennis courts on your left. The road will split to a “Y.” Stay straight; do not veer left. At the top of the hill, you will find the entrance to the Marian property.
36 National Shrine of The Divine Mercy Holy Mass Schedule Monday-Saturday: 9 a.m.* & 2 p.m.** Sunday: 9 a.m.* • 10:30 a.m.** • 2 p.m.** *Livestreamed from inside the Shrine. **This Mass may be celebrated at our Mother of Mercy Outdoor Shrine. Daily Schedule Eucharistic Adoration: 1-2 p.m. Holy Rosary: 1:30 p.m. Chaplet of Divine Mercy: 3 p.m. (with Benediction and Blessing of Religious Articles) Confessions: Monday-Friday 1-2 p.m. Saturday-Sunday 1-2 p.m. & 3:30-4:15 p.m. Divine Mercy Gift Shop Open Daily Visit Gift Shop or website for hours DivineMercyGiftShop.org or call 1-888-484-1112 Marian Helpers Center Home of the Association of Marian Helpers Open Monday through Friday 8 a.m.-5 p.m. To Order Products: Call: 1-800-462-7426 Visit: ShopMercy.org or TheDivineMercy.org Oratory of Our Lady of Mercy Eucharistic Adoration: Monday through Friday Noon-4 p.m. (with few exceptions) Marians of the Immaculate Conception NATIONAL SHRINE OF THE DIVINE MERCY STOCKBRIDGE, MA 01262 © 2023 Marian Fathers of the Immaculate Conception of the B.V.M. SCOMB 14270314